Thursday, August 19, 2010

Your (My) Story Matters

Don't you just sometimes wonder, "is there more to this life than what I am living?" I have so many dreams right now. Dreams that could be summarized by saying, "I wanna change the world." But how do you do that? How does one person accomplish that? And maybe it isn't the fact that one person accomplishes it but rather, if each person knew the importance of their story than we all could change the world just one person living their story amongst millions of others living their stories.

I've seen places where hope seems lost and I've met faces where there is still joy. I've seen laughter in places where there are cries for peace. I've found comfort within broken concrete walls and I've taken hands that are full of scars that are full of hope longing to know truth. How can I show these people hope? With skin dark as night and eyes white as snow, I've held orphans longing for a simple touch of freedom and family. I've dressed the seeping wounds of orphans who live in captivity and slavery. These stories full of heartbreak and joy need to be shown some hope. We can be that hope by sharing the story of Christ to them.

In about 9 months, a friend and I am going to move to Ghana, Africa and live with orphans and be their family. I am going to live with them for 15 months and I am going to run a sponsorship program called Rafiki Friends to connect them with families in America so that we can raise support for them. I am going to help teach them about the ultimate story and how their stories matter. I'm going to build real lasting relationships with these children. There are 17 children: Abella, Adjoa, Kekelli, Justina, Deborah, Dorkas, Mebel, Etchu, Atchu, Junior, Ammisa, Laticia, Denisa, Efua, MaryAnna, Hakeim, and Emmanuel. And then there is me: Katie Heckel. A 23 year old "poor" college graduate, guitar playing, music writing, singing Mississippi girl who wants to change the world by loving on one child at a time. Every child deserves the chance to dream and have a story, right?

I would love to learn more about living in my story by going to the Donald Miller Conference in Portland. I've always admired the way Donald Miller writes and think it would be an amazing opportunity to learn from him...especially for this upcoming adventure that I am about to go on.

"Now that I have seen, I am RESPONSIBLE. Faith without deeds is dead. Now that I have held you in my own arms, I can not let go till you are."--Brooke Fraser



No comments:

Post a Comment